What is insulin resistance and why should the ketogenic way of eating be an important part of your health care regimen?
Discover the answers from this very humorous and informative talk by Dr. Andy Phung. Don’t confuse Dr. Andy Phung (he’s American) with Dr. Jason Fung (he’s Canadian).
How To Fix Hyperinsulinemia Part 1 — Dr. Andy Phung
How To Fix Hyperinsulinemia Part 2 — Dr. Andy Phung
- Is medicine wrong about the root causes of obesity and type 2 diabetes?
- Diabetes is a “High Insulin Disease“
- A low-carb diet and intermittent fasting should be a vital part of health care regimen. In addition it helps you loose weight
- Dr. Phung created a new word by lumping diabetes and obesity together = diabesity.
- Do you know what the term metabolic syndrome mean? Dr Phung explains what it is and what it means for your health.
This is Wikipedia’s definition of Metabolic Syndrome
Metabolic Syndrome is a clustering of at least three of the five following medical conditions: central obesity, high blood pressure, high blood sugar, high serum triglycerides, and low serum high-density lipoprotein. Metabolic Syndrome is associated with the risk of developing cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.Wikipedia
- Why Eating less and moving more does not work, because it creates a weight loss dilemma. Losing weight is not a willpower problem.
- For example, if you want to lose a pound of weight, you literally would have to walk around 20 miles. Could you do that and would not have the time to do that?
- Insulin Resistance is based on various hormone imbalances, but mainly the insulin imbalance and the resulting hyperinsulinemia.
This is Wikipedia’s definition of Hyperinsulinemia
Hyperinsulinemia, is a condition in which there are excess levels of insulin circulating in the blood relative to the level of glucose.Wikipedia
- Every single type 2 diabetic has an obesity problem whether you look skinny on the outside or not. It is called TOFI = Thin Outside, Fat Inside.
This is Wikipedia’s definition of Obesity
Abdominal obesity, also known as central obesity and truncal obesity, is a condition when excessive abdominal fat around the stomach and abdomen has built up to the extent that it is likely to have a negative impact on health.Wikipedia
This is Wikipedia’s defintion of Fasting
Fasting is the willful refrainment from eating for a period of time. In physiological context, fasting may refer to the metabolic status of a person who has not eaten overnight, or to the metabolic state achieved after complete digestion and absorption of a meal.Wikipedia
Several metabolic adjustments occur during fasting. Some diagnostic tests are used to determine a fasting state. For example, a person is assumed to be fasting once 8–12 hours have elapsed since the last meal. Metabolic changes of the fasting state begin after absorption of a meal (typically 3–5 hours after eating).
- What is fasting?
- Answer: Not eating the first thing in the morning it is called fasting.
- What should your fasting insulin level be:
- Answer: Less than 5.0 mmol/l or 90 mg/dl.
- How does insulin react to food? This what happens when you eat:
- pure dietary fat a little bit of insulin comes out,
- protein a little more insulin comes out
- carbohydrate much more insulin comes out.
- Standard American Diet (SAD) with high sugar and high fat alot of insulin comes out.
This is Wikipedia’s definition of Insulin
Insulin is considered to be the main anabolic hormone of the body. Insulin (from Latin insula, ‘island’) is a peptide hormone produced by beta cells of the pancreatic islets. It regulates the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and protein by promoting the absorption of glucose from the blood into liver, fat and skeletal muscle cells.Wikipedia
- What does insulin do? The answer sounds like an oxymoron
- Basically insulin tells our body to make more new fat
and at the same time not to burn any fat.
- Basically insulin tells our body to make more new fat
In light of this information
Then what foods should you eat?
1] Eat food that makes the least insulin, that means protein and dietary fat.
- Avoid the foods that makes the most insulin which is Standard American Diet or a carbohydrate rich diet.
- Instead eat low carb high fat. That is called a ketogenic diet, especially if you keep your carbs under 20 grams a day.
- When you eat no plant food at all it’s called carnivore diet
What is the best way to loose
excess weight and Reverse Type2 Diabetes?
2] Intermittent Fasting is the best way to loose of excess weight.
This is Wikipedia’s definition of Intermittent Fasting
Intermittent fasting, also known as intermittent energy restriction, is an umbrella term for various meal timing schedules that cycle between voluntary fasting (or reduced calories intake) and non-fasting over a given period.Wikipedia
The three methods of intermittent fasting are alternate-day fasting, periodic fasting, and daily time-restricted feeding.
- Intermittent Fasting (also called time restricted eating) combined with a Low Carb Diet is the best way to lower your blood sugar and lose excess weight.
- There are various ways to restrict your eating window. When and how long should you be fasting ? There are many ways to do it:
When you come from eating the Standard American Diet please don’t try fasting right away to lower your insulin.
- Work your way up to a longer fasting window.
- You can start with 12 : 12 = eat 3 meals during a 12 hour time period and fast during the other 12 hours.
- Gradually you can make changes and reduce your food intake to 2 meals a day using these ratios.
- Your blood sugar readings will help you figure out the best times for you.
- These are some option for intermittent:
- fasting 14 hrs : eating 10 hrs
- fasting 16 hrs : eating 8 hrs
- fasting 18 hrs : eating 6 hrs or
- eat one meal a day
I found this video on Dr Eric Westman’s very helpful YouTube Channel
Dr Andy Phung’s website: https://drandyphung.com/
Dr Andy Phung’s Facebook Group
Dr Jason Fung’s website: https://thefastingmethod.com
Dr Jason Fung’s Facebook Group
Dr Jason Fung’s YouTube Channel
Do you have any questions?
Don’t hesitate to contact us
we love to talk with you.
If you find this information helpful,
leave a comment and don’t forget to share it on social media.