I came across this article in my Facebook stream from Young and Raw. I am still getting used to the taste of Cilantro, but am adjusting to it more and more, especially now that I know how healthy it is.
Cilantro is a popular herb used in many Mexican dishes and Raw Food Smoothies. It’s taste is unique and can take a little getting used to. When I first went raw I didn’t enjoy it, now I can’t get enough.
John Chadwick, The Mycenaean World (Cambridge: University Press, 1976), p. 119
Fragiska, M. (2005). Wild and Cultivated Vegetables, Herbs and Spices in Greek Antiquity. Environmental Archaeology 10 (1): 73-82
Daniel Zohary and Maria Hopf, Domestication of plants in the Old World, third edition (Oxford: University Press, 2000), p. 206
Changes in Volatile Compounds of ?-Irradiated Fresh Cilantro Leaves during Cold Storage. Xuetong Fan* and Kimberly J. B. Sokorai. Eastern Regional Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, U. S. Department of Agriculture, Wyndmoor, Pennsylvania 19038
Antibacterial Activity of Coriander Volatile Compounds against Salmonella choleraesuis. Isao Kubo, et. al. Journal of Agric. Food Chem., 2002, 50 (26), pp 7622-7626. Published 2002 American Chemical Society
Cilantro offers too many benefits to count, but here are 5 favourites:
- Cilantro can be especially helpful for people who have a lot of heavy metals in their system because it is a natural heavy metal detox herb.Try taking it with chlorella in a smoothie as this helps to pull the metals from your blood.
- Cilantro is an anti-inflammatory food rich in iron, and magnesium. Some people with anemia have chosen to integrate more cilantro into their meals and smoothies.
- Cilantro has shown to be helpful for women experiencing pms symptoms that effect their mood, creating more hormonal balance and happiness.
- Cilantro is good for the liver! It helps promote healthy liver function and can be included in the green vegetables you eat on a liver cleanse.
- Cilantro can be used for a variety of ailments like nausea, urinary tract infections, and stomach troubles as a general digestive aid.