- Each neuron is connected to other neurons by up to 40.000 synapses. Multiplying 100 billion beuron times 40.000 synapses is equivalent to the Brain having more connections that the stars in the universe.
- Your brain uses 20% of the total oxygen in your body.
- The human brain is the fattest organ in the body consisting of at least 60% fat.
- Children who learn two languages before the age of five alters the brain structure and adults have a much denser grey matter.
- While awake your brain generates between 10 and 23 watts of power or just enough energy to power a light bulb.
- The brain is made up of about 75% water.
- Your brain consists of about 100 billion neurons.
- A piece of brain tissue the size of a grain of sand contains 100.000 neurons and 1 billion synapses, all “talking” to one another.
- On average you have 50.000 – 70.000 thoughts a day.
- We yawn after someone else did because we have cells in our brain called mirror neurons. If this part of the brain is damaged, a person finds it hard to socialize and communicate with others.
- It is thought that a yawn works to send more oxygen to the brain, therefore working to cool it down and wake it up.
- Information in your brain travels at about 268 miles per hour, unless of course you are drunk, then things really slow down.
- Grey matter is actually pink too and it’s primarily associated with processing and cognition.
- Although sensations and feelings are processed in our brain, the brain itself cannot geel pain, as it lacks pain receptors. Headaches come from pain receptors in our head, hence the name headache and not brainaches.
- Your brain didn’t stop developing when you turned 18, it continued developing well into your 20’s and continues to change throughout your life.
Designed by: Eye Candy Infographic | Sources:
Please leave a comment below if you found this information interesting.