Just because the low carb high fat way of living is suddenly in the news does not mean that it is a new fad. Actually once something starts to make news headlines, it is no longer new. It just has bubbled up to the top.
LCHF has quite a history and then I came across this article that gives some background on how long the way of eating has been around.
6 Facts About LCHF
- It Has Been Around For at Least One and a Half Century
- Atkins’s First Book Was Published in 1972, Way Before The Low-Fat Guidelines Came Out
- Entire Populations Have Thrived on Such a Diet, in Excellent Health
- More Than 20 Randomized Controlled Trials Have Been Published
- People Are Able to Stick to it Better Than The Low-Fat Diet
- Many Health Professionals Use Them in Their Practice
People stick with this way of eating for a number of reasons. My personal reason is to control my blood sugar and it is working. Some people use it to lose weight, which was quite unexpected for me, but I am more than happy about it.
When I first looked into this way of eating, I discovered that is quite widespread in South Africa and restaurants even serve low carb high fat meals. So it took over 2 years to be talked about in Canada and the US media.
To learn more read the full article here.
Here are a few more articles that give you some background information.
- In South Africa the diet is called “Banting” was popularized by Prof Tim Noakes.
- For over 80 years the diet was used to help people with epilepsy according to his article.
I would like to hear about your experiences.
Please leave a comment below. ▼